ReFiG has launched and is in its 2nd year. Dedicated to supporting work that promotes diversity, inclusion and equity in games across the sectors of formal education, informal learning, the game industry and games/cultures, we invite paper proposals for presentation at our conference to be held at Concordia University in Montreal from October 27-29, 2016.
We invite proposals that address the above areas, and/or that focus on feminist methodologies for studying games and communities, or propose new directions, new theories and new forms of meaning making. Thematic areas may include but are not limited to:
- Analysis of player communities, diversity and inclusion
- Representational analysis of gender, race, ability, sexual orientation in games
- Examinations of marketing practices
- Descriptions of demographics or player behaviours
- Reports from embedded research in industry establishments
- Reviews of inclusion and diversity policies at games studios and/or affiliated online communities
- Policy development for inclusive practices in the industry
- Feminist game post-mortems
- Reflections on game design workshops
- Descriptions of effective safer space policies for informal learning environments
- Papers detailing the career pathways of former participants in informal learning initiatives
- Participatory action research or embedded research reports from informal learning sites
- Post-mortems or reflections on game curriculum that addresses social justice issues
- Discussions of effective recruitment practices for building more diverse games classrooms
- Reviews of post-secondary games programs
Deadline for proposals is August 15, 2016.
Notifications will be sent by September 8, 2016.
HOW TO APPLY:
Online applications forms are available. You will need to provide the following information:
- Paper title
- Name of author(s)
- Institutional affiliation (if applicable)
- Abstract (300 words)
- Contact email
If you have any questions, please get in touch: refiggames [at] gmail [dot] com.